Financial Resources for Students

ERE and ETaP graduate students have access to a number of scholarship and financial aid opportunities. Links to sites that describe some of these opportunities are listed below. In addition, some students work as research assistants on faculty directed projects.

Schatz Energy Fellowship - This fellowship is sponsored by the Schatz Energy Research Center for a graduate student who is pursuing studies related to renewable energy or energy efficiency. The fellowship provides $15,000 per year in support to the selected student. The student is also able to earn additional income through paid research work at the Schatz Energy Research Center.

Blue Lake Rancheria Fellowship for Clean Energy Studies - This fellowship is funded by the Blue Lake Rancheria in honor of legendary local STEM educator, the late Jean Rousseau. It is open to ERE and ETaP graduate program applicants who intend to focus on renewable energy and/or energy efficiency work. It provides $15,000 per year in support to the selected student along with the opportunity to earn additional income through paid research wrok at the Schatz Energy Research Center. 

Western Regional Graduate Program (WRGP) - ETaP and ERE students from the states listed below are eligible to attend HSU while paying "in-state" fees. For students from eligible states outside of California, this reduces the cost of graduate education considerably (see the Financial Services page for more information about the fee levels - students from eligible WRGP states must pay "Graduate Fees", but they do not need to pay the "Nonresident Tuition Fee"). This opportunity became available when the Environmental Systems Graduate Program, including the ERE and ETaP options, was accepted as an eligible program by the WRGP. Students from eligible states should indicate their interest to access the WRGP rate when they apply (e.g. by including a sentence about this in their application essay). Eligible states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

The links below provide information on other student funding opportunities through various campus offices:

- Office of Research and Graduate Studies

- Sponored Programs Foundation

- Financial Aid Office

Information about the cost of graduate education at Humboldt State University is listed on the HSU Financial Services webpage.